I recently had the opportunity to take part in Gwynedd Council’s Talent Fair, which aimed to give an insight into what it’s like to apply and work for the local authority. Live sessions were held over Zoom with an opportunity to hear from apprentices, graduates and experts.
I took part in ‘The Perfect Application’ session, where we discussed how to write a good application and how to prepare for an interview or a recruitment centre.
If you are thinking of applying for a place on Cynllun Yfory or our Apprenticeship Scheme, I thought it would be a good idea to summarise some of the main points from the session and share some of my top tips:
The Application Form:
- Read through the instructions
- Make sure you have enough time to complete the application form
- Include examples and relevant information
- Be concise and to the point by structuring your answers
The Recruitment Centre/Interview:
- Be aware of what you have included in your application form
- Show your interest in the field
- Be confident and try not to rush when completing a task or answering a question
- Try to relax and enjoy the experience as best you can
In today’s world, if you are applying for a job, some of you may be invited to participate in an online recruitment centre/interview. My main advice for this scenario would be to treat it exactly like a face-to-face situation and prepare in the same way.
Emily’s Top Tips:
- Allow plenty time to complete the application form
- Include examples to support your points
- Prepare and do your research
- Don’t be afraid to get in touch if you have a question